Prevent Plumbing Emergencies
Halloween is a time for tricks and treats, but nothing could be scarier than a plumbing emergency. If homeowners are not prepared, a plumbing disaster can turn their Halloween into a nightmare. That’s why it’s important to know what to do in case of a plumbing emergency and how to prevent them from happening in the first place. Read on for tips on how to keep the home safe this Halloween – and all year long!
Keep Drains Clear with Drain Cleaning
Drains make spooky gurgling noises when they start to clog. Free-flowing drains don’t make noise at all, so when homeowners hear the gurgling noises coming from sinks and tubs, it’s time to explore drain cleaning options.
Drain cleaning can be done to unclog drains or to prevent clogs from forming. Homeowners or qualified plumbers can do drain cleaning. If homeowners try drain cleaning, they should remember tips like:
- Prevention is easier than a cure
- Avoid dangerous chemical drain cleaners (they can damage the pipes)
- Try safe methods as flushing drains with hot water or baking soda and vinegar
If at-home methods don’t unclog drains, professionals have advanced tools to help. These qualified plumbers ensure that drain clogs don’t lead to a complete backup and that the clog and all debris are cleaned out to prevent future clogs. Routine drain cleaning is important to prevent clogs and other plumbing problems that can result from them.
Stop Creepy Clogged Toilets
A toilet running in the night makes a spooky noise, but the horror of finding that the toilet won’t flush because of a clog is still scarier. Toilet clogs happen for various reasons, but most often, the cause is that they are overwhelmed. To keep toilets from clogging, try tips like:
- Don’t use too much toilet paper
- Flush a few times if too much toilet paper is being used in a single session
- Don’t flush anything other than toilet paper
- Leave a trash can out for items that shouldn’t be flushed, like hygiene products, paper towels, and wipes
- Keep a plunger handy for small clogs
If clogged toilets are becoming a constant problem, there may be a bigger problem in the sewer line. Always call a plumber if clogged toilets become chronic.
Maintain Water Heaters
Water heaters are expensive appliances that make various haunting noises when things aren’t right. How would it feel to awaken in the dead of night to a thumping noise only to find that the thing that went bump in the night was the neglected water heater? Schedule seasonal maintenance with a plumber to quiet sounds like:
- Thumping that indicates the tank needs to be flushed
- Hissing that indicates a leak is dripping onto the burner
- Screeching that indicates a valve has failed
Routine water heater maintenance lowers energy bills and increases the unit’s lifespan. This service should be done annually by a professional for the best results.
About Stanley Heating Cooling & Plumbing
Stanley Heating Cooling & Plumbing is a locally-owned and operated company serving Moraine, OH, and the surrounding areas since 2005. They offer flat rate pricing, on-time service, and a satisfaction guarantee. Call them today for water heater services in Moraine, OH.